Welcome to the Benefice of
St. Mary Henlow and St. Andrew Langford
Bells of St. Andrew's
There are three bells in the tower which date back to the 18th century and are housed in the original and substantial wooden frame.
The smallest bell was found to be broken in the mid 19th century. It was recast at the Whitechapel Bell foundry in London and new fittings were provided. The original date of this bell is not known.
The bells were re-hung in 1924 and full ringing gear installed. The "wheels" were subsequently removed and the ropes connected to lever mechanisms enabling the bells to be just swung enough to be chimed.
In 1974 the tower was declared unsafe and the bells were not heard again until Christmas 1980 when the necessary repairs had been completed.
The bells continue to be chimed for services and special occasions.